Reading Minster Choir
The Minster Choir of boys and adults provides music for the Sunday morning Eucharist, for special events and occasions at Christmas - such as the Service of Nine Lessons and Carols - and the Midnight Communion Service and at Easter time.
The Choir and its music is an important part of the life of the Minster and its contribution to worship is highly valued and appreciated by clergy and congregation.
The music is drawn from the best of the church musical heritage, and is performed to a high standard under the direction of the Master of the Music and Minster Organist (Ian Hillier) and coached by experienced professional singer (Andrew Stafford).
The Upper Voices
Probationers and choristers alike are given careful vocal training at each level, and are taught to read and understand music and the terms and style and to develop their vocal talent. At later stages they are prepared for the Choral scholarships offered by Oxbridge Colleges and other Universities. Our choristers are recruited from a wide area around Reading.
Boys are paid pocket money when they attend, as well as appropriate fees for weddings or special services.
Parents provide help on a rota basis with registration and preparing a drink and snack for the half-time break at the Wednesday practice (4.30–7.00pm). There are very careful safeguarding policies in place.
The Lower Voices
The alto, tenor and bass lines are drawn from choral scholars and adult lay singers, with some supernumerary opportunities for support at busier times or to provide cover.
For further details on the resources needed to continue this aspect of our worship and how you can support the choir please visit our Choral Foundation page.
The Minster Willis Organ
An instrument of three manuals and pedals by Byfield was installed in the West Gallery of Reading Minster in 1800. This was replaced by the present organ built by ‘Father’ Henry Willis in 1862 for an exhibition in London. It originally comprised three manuals and pedals – there were 11 stops on the Great organ, 8 on the Swell, 7 on the Choir and 5 on the Pedal.
This organ was modified and installed in the north transept of St. Mary’s in 1864 – the same year that Willis installed his organ in the Town Hall. Some time around 1876, the organ was moved to its present site (a chamber on the north side of the chancel) and the Solo organ (fourth manual) added, together with hydraulic blowing apparatus. The work was carried out by Henry Willis.
After around fifty years of use the mechanism was practically worn out and funds were collected for a rebuild. The outbreak of WW1 meant that this work was not completed until 1926. Willis’ estimate at that time was over £3000 and the maximum sum available was only £1600. For this amount, Bishop & Sons rebuilt the organ, including a new action and some tonal changes. One item remaining today from this rebuild is the delightful Viola da Gamba on the Solo Organ.
In 1932 Henry Willis III (grandson of ‘Father’ Willis) visited the Minster to assess the condition of the instrument and by the end of 1935 it finally ceased to work. Canon Parham (incumbent at the time, later Bishop of Reading) and the Dr. Daughtry (organist) raised £5000 and the work of rebuilding commenced in early 1936 and was finished in October the same year. This work included a ;new organ façade of plain zinc display pipes and casework designed by Harold Rogers FRIBA of Oxford.
Many of the original decorated front pipes can still be seen in various parts of the organ on a sunny day. The instrument was technologically advanced for its day and included the existing detached console with electronic action. At this time Willis III lowered the wind pressures on some of the big reed stops (which considerably decreased their effectiveness) and removed the 32ft Double Open Diapason from the pedal Organ.
This is the organ as it is today – 51 speaking stops, 30 couplers and 2,886 pipes. The rebuilt organ has served seventy years with little major expense other than regular tuning and servicing and the present condition of the organ is now sadly run down.
For further details on the work needed to restore the organ and how you can support this venture please visit our Organ Restoration page.