Reading Minster contains some extremely fine and important examples of stained glass from the notable firms of Warrington and Clayton & Bell.
In February 1943, some of the windows were unfortunately damaged by German bombs and pieces of glass were blown out of the windows.
The most significant windows within the Minster are described on this page.
Clayton & Bell, 1865
This impressive, mid-19th century 3-light window is set in a painted setting above the High Altar and was made during the best period of the famous Victorian firm of Clayton & Bell. Floral patterns are interspersed with figurative scenes depicting the life of Christ.
3 Lights on the north side of the Chancel
Clayton & Bell, 1865
The format of the East window is echoed in three lights on the north side of the Chancel, again dating from the mid-19th century. Each window contains a rich floral pattern and a central pane depicting a saint.
Window in St. Anne’s Chapel
Clayton & Bell, c.1880
The subject of this window is The Last Supper and the painting is of an extremely high quality.
Window in St. Edward’s Chapel
William Warrington, 1839
This window, which shows Christ seated with children surrounding him, is one of the most important and interesting windows in the Minster. It was made at a transitional time in stained glass design (between the Regency period and the early Victorian style) – this can be seen by the stylistically different painting of figures.
Window at west end of North aisle
Clayton & Bell, date unknown
This 4-light window is richly decorated with the main scenes from the early life of Christ set into a decorated canopy – two lights from the left show Christ preaching in the temple and the two from the right show Christ helping Joseph with carpentry and Mary in the background.. The base scene of The Last Supper is set into a further canopy.
West End Gallery window
Maker and date unknown
This Regency style 4-light window is one of the oldest windows in the Minster. Lead at this time was not of the best quality and decayed quite rapidly which meant that windows of this period and design were discarded when they needed restoration and few have survived. It is thought to have been made by William Warrington.